Top Things To Consider For Australian Student Visa

Top Six Things to Consider When Applying For An Australian Student Visa

Getting a Studen Visa Approved for Australia requires attention to the following details

Since my earliest days of processing Australian student visa applications, I have learnt a few things. I have assessed cases from so many different nationalities and each case would be different.  For over 10 years I have assessed student visas and I can tell you that I would commonly come across applications where they lacked the appropriate information and were delayed unnecessarily or even refused.

Here are a few things to consider before lodging your application:

Ok, so you’ve decided on which course and education provider you want to study at, and you’ve been accepted by them, great.  The education provider will then issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).  Once you have the CoE you can begin to work out your requirements for the student visa application.

There are 6 main requirements for a student visa application, of which you’ll need to provide as evidence:

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). This shows your case officer that you have a genuine intent to study with a registered education provider.  Always check that the provider is registered and that they can provide you with the CoE, if not then they are not allowed to take you on as a student.  This, in turn could result in your student application being refused without a refund.
  • Evidence of funds. You will need to provide evidence of sufficient funds to cover the first 12 months of study and includes travel expenses, living costs & course fees.  The funds normally need to be held in a financial institution (bank), it can also be an approved loan, government loan or scholarship.
  • English language proficiency. Not all applications will require to provide evidence of their English language proficiency However if you do need to provide evidence, there are several different options.  You could be fortunate enough where you only need to provide evidence that you have studied in a specified country for at least 5 years prior to lodging your student visa application.
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE). You will need to provide a written Statement of Purpose outlining the circumstances in your home country, potential circumstances in Australia, your previous immigration history, ties to your home country (incentive to return home), economic circumstances in your home country, and much, much more. This is a very important document so spend time on it.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). In most cases you will need to provide evidence that you hold health insurance, this is usually included in the CoE as you can purchase OSHC through your education provider.
  • Health & Character. You may need to undergo health examinations for your application. This is normally requested after you have lodged your application and a case officer has made their initial assessment. If you have declared convictions on your application form, you may be required to provide police certificates from the relevant country.

 Find out the requirements for YOUR application, everyone is different!

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) has quite a bit of information on their website about student visas.

Here’s the thing, there is another option, contact me and I’ll take care of it.

Sue Ellis

Australian Immigration Consultant

09 281 3372



The content of this blog should in no way be used to assess your eligibility to meet any visa criteria. Please ensure you seek professional advice or contact the Department of Home Affairs before considering lodging an application.

Click HERE if you are just starting out and seeking helpful information to get started!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *