Australian Bridging Visas

Bridging visas are temporary visas that let you legally stay in Australia while your immigration status is being decided. There are different Australian bridging visas for different circumstances – and the rights you have with each type varies. VisaAide are here to help you with your visa applications and advice. Australian immigration rules are complex – so speak to us for helpful, up-to-date information.

Bridging visa A (BVA) – Subclass 010

Bridging visa A is generally issued automatically if you are in Australia holding a substantive visa and you apply for another substantive. The job of a BVA is to allow you to remain lawful while the application is being processed.

Bridging visa A only comes into effect once your current substantive visa has expired, and is valid for either 28 or 35 days, depending on your circumstances.

In a majority of cases, you will be given the same visa conditions that were on your previous visa that may not give you work rights. However, if you’re applying for permanent residency under the spouse/partner category you may be granted work rights. There are also other cases where work rights may be provided. Also, if your BVA does not give you work rights, it is possible to apply for work rights by applying for a BVA and providing evidence that you are in financial hardship.

There are no travel rights on a Subclass 010 visa. If you already hold a BVA and are needing to travel overseas you will need to apply for a BVB

Bridging visa B (BVB) – Subclass 020

Providing you are in Australia and already hold a BVA, you can apply for Bridging visa B to allow you to travel: the visa may be granted for a single trip or multiple journeys. Be aware that you need to have genuine reasons for travel, such as visiting ill family, funerals, work commitments, etc.

The BVB also has an expiry date so don’t get caught outside Australia when it expires as this will create significant issues when trying to return to Australia.

With Bridging visa B, you are allowed to work only if the substantive visa you had (or have applied for) lets you work.

Bridging visa C (BVC) – Subclass 030

Bridging visa C is used if your previous substantive visa has already expired and you are applying for another visa to remain in Australia. Providing you have not been granted a BE, you can use the BVC to remain lawfully in the country.

If you have previously been refused a visa or had a visa cancelled, you may not be eligible to use Bridging visa C to lodge another visa application.

Bridging visa E (BVE) – Subclass 050 and 051

Bridging visa E (subclass 050) is generally used when your substantive visa has already expired to enable you to depart Australia lawfully. The length or validity of the visa depends on the assessing case officer.

Bridging visa E (subclass 051) lets eligible non-citizens stay in Australia while your Protection visa application is being processed.

Do you need help with Australian bridging visas?

We specialise in Australian visas – contact us for up-to-date advice.

Insert Content Template or Symbol