Student Visa Subclass 500

Student Visa Subclass 500 is a great Australian visa: not only can you study in Australia, but you’re also able to work a limited number of hours – and you can bring your family with you.

Other requirements for the Subclass 190 visa for Australia

  • Visa Subclass 500 allows you stay in Australia for up to five years in Australia – the exact amount of time you can stay depends on the duration of your course.
  • Children enrolled in primary school years 1 to 4 are usually given a student visa for a maximum of three years.
  • You can include your partner on your visa.
  • You can also include any dependent children on your visa, if they are under 18 and not married.
  • You can leave Australia and return as many times as you like during the visa period.
  • You’re able to work a specified number of hours in any sector.
  • You can apply for student visa Subclass 500 inside or outside of Australia.
  • Studying in Australia could lead to a postgraduate work visa.

Student Visa Subclass 500 is a great Australian visa: not only can you study in Australia, but you’re also able to work a limited number of hours – and you can bring your family with you.

What you need to know about the Australian student visa

Your course must be with a CRICOS-registered education provider (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students).

Requirements for the Australian student visa

The requirements of a student visa will depend on the type of course and the education provider you’ve chosen to enrol with. Below are some of the most common requirements:

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

In most instances, you’ll need a Confirmation of Enrolment from your education provider – this is normally issued after you’ve accepted your offer to study, and have paid your deposit.

English language requirements

If you’re not a native English speaker, may need to provide proof of your proficiency in the English language. 

Sufficient funds

You’ll need to prove that you – and any family members on your visa – have enough money for your stay in Australia. This is to cover travel expenses, the cost of living, and the course you are studying. The amount of money you need is determined by the Australian Government.


Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

The GTE criteria are complex: gaining professional advice is highly recommended, especially if you are applying from outside of your usual country of residence or changing career path.

GTE is in place to ensure that there is a high chance that applicants are genuine students, and that the intended stay in Australia is likely to be temporary.

The main way to address GTE criteria in a student visa application is to provide a Statement of Purpose. This statement outlines your reasons for studying in Australia and your intentions once you have completed your course.


Health and character

Some student visa Subclass 500 applicants will be required to complete a medical and x-ray, where some people from low-risk countries may not.

Police certificates will need to be provided for anyone included in the application over the age of 16 for countries where they have spent 12 months or more in the last 10 years, since turning 16.


Health insurance

If you’re not covered by the reciprocal health agreement Australia has with some countries, you will require health insurance for the time you’re in Australia.

Do you need help with your student visa Subclass 500?

We specialise in Australian visas – contact us for up-to-date advice.