New Zealand Student Visas

New Zealand welcomes international students – and NZ is a wonderful country in which to study, with a wide range of highly-respected courses and academic institutions to choose from. There are many different types of New Zealand student visas, depending on your needs and goals, and how long you wish to study for in NZ.

New Zealand student visas cover all levels of study: from primary school, through to intermediate and secondary schools, as well as tertiary education, vocational training, postgraduate studies, and English language schools.

Different New Zealand student visas have different rules around working rights. So if you’re looking to work in New Zealand, either to support yourself, earn some spending money, gain work experience, or to practice your English – it’s vital that you have the right kind of international student visa for NZ. It’s recommended that you get advice early on in the process, as the course you choose and the institution you study with will also impact your work rights and length of stay.

Get help choosing the right course of study for your next visa

VisaAide is an approved, registered agent for the New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology (Te Pūkenga).

This means we can help you to get enrolled in any one of 16 Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics and nine Industry Training Organisations across New Zealand.

We will help you identify the most appropriate course that may lead to a Post Study Work Visa or even Residence down the track. It’s important to choose the right course of study to get on track for your next visa.

Contact us for a discussion about the best course of study for you that could lead to a work visa and later to residence

Here are some of the New Zealand student visas options

Visitor Visa

A New Zealand Visitor Visa lets you study for up to 3 months.

Work and Holiday Visa for Australia
Working Holiday Visas

Many countries have a working holiday arrangement with New Zealand, which lets young people work and study in NZ. The details of the working holiday visa vary depending on your country of residency.

Fee Paying Student Visa

This international student visa for NZ is for up to 4 years, or for the duration of your course. Your course must be with an approved education provider. This visa usually also allows you to work: this may be part-time for up to 20 hours a week during term time, and potentially full-time in the holidays. If the student is 17 or under, their parent or legal guardian will need to be in New Zealand with them, and have a valid Guardian of a Student Visitor Visa.

Occupational Registration Visitor Visa

Stay for up to 3 months to obtain New Zealand occupational registration. If the occupational training registration takes longer than 3 months, you’ll need a New Zealand student visa.

Student and Trainee Work Visa

Allows you to gain practical work experience to complete a study or training requirement. This visa covers many fields, and is particularly popular with dental and medical trainees, religious trainees, and apprentice jockeys. How long you’ll be able to spend in New Zealand with this visa will depend on your occupation.

Pathway Student Visa

The objective for this NZ student visa is to allow an individual to complete a qualification plant hat extends beyond a single course. This visa lets you study for to 3 consecutive courses, for up to 5 years. Plus you’ll likely be able to work on this visa – the rules around your working rights will depend on your course of study.

Do you need help with your New Zealand student visa?

We specialise in New Zealand visas – contact us for up-to-date advice.