Australian Transit Visa:

Subclass 771

The Australian Transit Visa (Subclass 771) lets you transit through Australia for up to 72 hours. That means you’re able to leave an Australian airport, even if you arrived without another valid visa.

This is important, as many of Australia’s airports don’t work 24 hours and don’t provide transit facilities – so you may need a 771 visa simply because of the airport you’re travelling through. Here’s the up-to-date list of airports where you’ll always need a transit visa.

Overview of the Australian transit visa (Subclass 771)

  • You must have a valid confirmed booking to travel to another country.
  • Your stay in Australia is for a maximum of 72 hours.
  • Citizens of many countries are exempt from this visa if your transit is less than eight hours – but if you’re travelling through an airport without transit facilities, you may require an Australian transit visa.
  • Every person in your family (including babies and children) needs to have their own Australian transit visa application – even if they are travelling on your passport.

Australia transit visa requirements

Confirmed itinerary

You’ll need a confirmed flight itinerary. Please note that you’re not required to pay for tickets prior to your visa being approved.

If you’re on standby flights, please provide a letter explaining this and evidence of how you have obtained standby flights, for example by providing an example of your staff ID.

Visa for third country

You will need to provide evidence that you are able to enter the country that you intend to travel to after your transit in Australia. This could be just the fact you hold a type of passport that allows you entry to that country, or a valid visa.


You may be required to provide a photo of your face and fingerprints.

Visa processing information

Transit Visa Subclass 771 applications can take from as little as a few days, to several months to process, so please allow plenty of time. You will need to send documents in the post to apply for an Australian transit visa.

Do you need help with your Australian transit visa

We specialise in Australian visas – contact us for up-to-date advice.