Subclass 417:

Working Holiday
Visa for Australia

The Working Holiday Visa for Australia is a wonderful way to do short-term work, study, and enjoy a holiday. Working Holiday Visas for Australia (Subclass 417) are available to passport holders of specified countries, for people aged 18 to 30 – though for some countries you can participate till age 35.

Subclass 417 is for passport holders of the following countries:

Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders), Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport), The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

If you are a passport holder of any of the following countries, check out Subclass 462 (Work and Holiday Visa) instead. Note that Subclass 462 has educational and English language requirements, while Subclass 417 doesn’t necessitate this.

Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Chile, People's Republic of China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mongolia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, United States of America, Vietnam.

Second and third Working Holiday Visas

The Working Holiday Visa for Australia is valid for 12 months, and in that time you can do any kind of work, study for up to four months, and travel to and re-enter Australia as often as you wish. And if you work in a specified role for three months, you may be eligible for a second Working Holiday Visa.

Then, if you work in a specified role for six months during your second stint, you may be eligible for a third Working Holiday Visa – and then you can work in any role you like for the duration of the visa, if you wish to.

Other things to know about the Working Holiday Visa for Australia

Visa Subclass 417 – i.e. the Working Holiday Visa for Australia – doesn’t include your family.

You’ll also need to pay tax on your income that you earn in Australia, and contribute to Australia’s compulsory superannuation (pension) scheme. When you leave Australia, you can access the money you’ve paid into the superannuation scheme. This is known as the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment.

Do you need help with Working Holiday Visa for Australia?

We specialise in Australian visas – contact us for up-to-date advice.