New Zealand Partnership Visas:

Visit, Work, Study or Live in NZ

There are visitor, work, and resident visa options to allow you to join a partner in New Zealand depending on the circumstances. However, there will be differences in the New Zealand partnership visas relating to work rights, and the length of the visa.

Types of New Zealand partnership visas

Here’s an overview of some of the most common types of New Zealand partnership visas:

Partners of student visa holders

You can join your partner while they study in New Zealand. Depending on the level of the qualification your partner is studying, you may be eligible for a Partner of a Student Work Visa. Otherwise, you'll need to apply for the Partner of a Student Visitor Visa You won’t have any rights to work on this visa however you maybe able to apply for your own Accredited Employer Work Visa.

Partners of work visa holders

If your partner has, or is applying for, a work visa, you may be able to join them with a Partner of a Worker Work Visa. The duration of your visa will be the same as your partner’s work visa. You may be able to study in New Zealand for up to 3 months on this visa.

Partners of NZ citizens or residents

You can apply for the Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa or Resident Visa if your partner’s an NZ citizen or resident.

You must have lived with your partner for at least 12 months prior to applying for the Resident Visa. Whereas, the Work Visa does not have a set length of time that you have had to have lived together, only that you are currently living together, or that you have previously lived together at some stage during your relationship.

Please contact us for current advice and information.

How is partnership defined for New Zealand Partnership Visas?

Immigration New Zealand has strict definitions of constitutes a partnership.

You must be able to prove that you’re in a genuine and stable relationship, which must be a legal marriage, civil union, or a de facto relationship. 

You must also prove that you have been, or are currently, living together, and this cannot include situations where you and your partner have held separate residences such as flatting or sharing holiday accommodation, for example.

Evidence of the relationship can be wide-ranging but typically would be in the form of joint finances and assets, utilities accounts, property ownership or rental, etc. Please get in touch with us so we can understand your situation and provide you with your best options.

Do you need help with your New Zealand partnership visa?

We specialise in New Zealand visas – contact us for up-to-date advice.

0 of 350