Australian Citizen With Partner From Another Country

Australian Citizen With Partner From Another Country

You can listen to this automated AI version of the article here:

Applying for a Visa for partner of an Australian citizen

If you are in a relationship with a citizen from another country, then sub class 309/100 visa is a great option to enable living in Australia together.  The 309 visa is a provisional residency visa which then leads to the 100 permanent Australian residency visa.

Here are a few things to consider before lodging your application.

Definition of a Relationship: You need to be in one of the following types of relationship:

  • de-facto partner (either different sex or same sex)
  • spouse (either different sex or same sex).

Evidence of Relationship: You need to provide evidence that you have been together (to the exclusion of all others) for a minimum of 12 months.  Below is a list of documents the department will be looking for: 

  • a statement about your relationship
  • documents that show you and your partner share financial responsibilities
  • documents that show that you and your partner share household responsibilities
  • documents that show your relationship is known by others
  • documents to show you are committed to each other your long-term relationship

Sponsorship requirements. You would be required to provide evidence that you are an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen.  Evidence can be shown by way of a birth certificate or biodata page of current passport.  You may not be eligible to sponsor if you have sponsored another person for Australian residency within the last 5 years and/or you have previously sponsored on two occasions for residency.

Definition of Eligible New Zealand citizen. If you were in Australia on the 26th of February 2001 or were in Australia for 12 months in the 2 years immediately prior to this date, or you have been assessed as a Protected SCV holder, you will be considered an Eligible New Zealand citizen.

Health & Character. Your partner will need to undergo health examinations for the application which is normally requested for by the case officer after the assessment of your application. You and your partner may also be required to provide police certificates.

How long does it take to get Australian Residence?

After 2 years of holding the 309 visa, your 100 visa processing takes place. This is the permanent residency side of the application. The Department will contact you when it’s time to provide a bit of extra information for the processing.

I hope this helps. Feel free to send me an email or give me a call to discuss your situation.

Sue Ellis

Ph 0064 9 281 3372

Please note that although we strive to provide accurate information at all times, immigration policy and regulations change. Therefore, this information should not be used to confirm your eligibility for any specific visa. Please speak with us prior to considering lodging a visa application so we can assess your unique circumstances and visa options.


Click HERE if you are just starting out and seeking helpful information to get started!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *